Have you recently graduated or are considering a career shift? Or maybe you’re looking for a new job? If you find yourself nodding yes to any of these scenarios, temporary work is an excellent option. Temporary assignments offer you the chance to explore, learn and earn—and they can be an important step on the way to full-time employment.
If you’re unsure whether you want to try temporary work, consider the following ways it can help propel you forward in your career:
- Explore the job market. With temporary assignments, you can experience a field from the inside. This valuable job experience can help you find something you like, which is helpful if you’ve just graduated from college or want to try something new in your career.
- Get your foot in the door. Some employers prefer to work with a job candidate before they extend a full-time offer of employment. When you temp, it’s a two-way street—an employer can get an idea of your talents and how well you fit with the culture, while you can evaluate whether you like the job. Plus, you have the opportunity to network—and all of this is helpful when you’re looking for full-time work.
- Build your resume. Temping helps you gain new skills—everything from hands-on training, to soft skills like good communication and team work. This gives you a huge boost when you’re looking for a new job, and one you wouldn’t get waiting at home for an email from a potential employer. You’ll be able to add to your resume and round it out, which gets you that much closer to your next job.
- Get a paycheck. With temping, you have a flexible schedule—you can accept assignments as much—or as little—as you like. That means you still have time on the side to continue looking for full-time work. The difference is you can earn a paycheck while you look, so you can keep up with all your weekly expenses!
- Keep moving forward. If you’re looking for a new job and have spent a while unemployed, temping is a great way to stay motivated. It will keep you active, learning and interacting with others in the workforce, which can boost your spirits, as well as your attitude!
How to get started
One of the best ways to find a temporary job is by working with a recruiter. You can find one who specializes in your field with a simple Google search, or by talking to your colleagues. A recruiter will help you gain access to jobs that are advertised, as well as those that aren’t—cutting down on the time it takes to find new work.
McGrath Systems can help!
We work with candidates for jobs in engineering, IT, administration, human resources and light industrial. To learn more and speak with one of our experienced recruiters, contact McGrath Systems today!