Millennials are a hardworking generation and as colleges release recent grads into the working world, it’s important for employers to take heed of millennial values. This generation has never abided to the “children are seen and not heard” concept, and have grown up with social media—a stage to showcase themselves, their thoughts and their opinions to a worldwide audience. So as you begin to bring millennials onboard at your company, understand they want to make a difference, and they want to do so flexibly.
Importance Of Flexibility To Millennials
Technology has given this generation the benefits of communication and information always at their fingertips. As a result, they expect the same sort of flexibility in their work. They are most drawn to jobs that allow them to contribute, with the freedom to choose when, where and how they get this done. Here’s how you can help your company increase job flexibility and attract more millennials to your workforce:
- Telecommuting. If your business has the capabilities, the work-at-home option is an attractive alternative to cubicle life. Millennials like the freelance feel of a job they can work in their pajamas, and it saves employers on the cost of utilities.
- Big Picture Input. What are the short-term and long-term goals of your company? Your millennial workers will want to know—and will likely have ideas for how to get there! Hold regular meetings that allow your staff to offer opinions and propose projects that can help your business move ahead.
- Shorter Workweeks. Instead of five 8-hour days, some employees may prefer four 10-hour days. Sustained concentration may allow your workers to get more accomplished once their wheels are already turning for the day, with the opportunity for a 3-day weekend.
- Time For Projects. Aside from day-to-day tasks, you can allow your workers the freedom to spend an hour or two every day on an individual project. Even better, if a worker has an idea for an initiative that can help the company, why not give them the flexibility to work on this project? You never know what your staff can accomplish when you allow them creative license.
- Flexible Schedules. If possible, allowing your workers to build their schedules around their outside responsibilities can have huge rewards. Employees who feel their companies care about them and want them to succeed are much more loyal and productive.
Millennials View Flexibility As A Perk
If your business can bend to the needs of a new generation, it will help you attract innovative young talent, offering your business a fresh, new point a view.
Your Source For Highly Qualified Sstaff
McGrath Systems is an expert in the staffing industry, and we’ll help you find the candidates that match your job opportunities. We place IT, human resources, administrative, engineering and light industrial professionals, and our recruiters are waiting to hear from you! Contact McGrath Systems today to learn more!