Temporary employees—also known as contingent employees—are a valuable source of staffing. You may rely on them for short-term projects or to cover workforce holes due to seasonal peaks or employee absences. Despite their temporary tenure, it’s still important to choose contingent workers who are well qualified and mesh with your corporate culture. And you’ll also want to choose workers who display traits that indicate they’ll be good hires. Here’s what you should look for.
Do your temporary workers have these three traits?
Like any new hire, you want your temps to be reliable and professional, with good communication skills. But the best contingent workers also have the following:
- Since they bounce from job to job as a career, the best temp workers are fast learners who adapt quickly to new situations. They shouldn’t be wallflowers, but instead willing to jump in, meet their co-workers and learn their new responsibilities.
- An upbeat personality and can-do attitude will help any temp get settled into a new atmosphere quickly and easily. Your temps will need to roll with the punches, and motivation to succeed is a perfect quality to have.
- Learning something new takes effort. Your contingent workers’ commitment to succeed in a new job may be the single most important trait they possess.
Ask these interview questions to uncover key qualities
So how can you determine which contingent employees will work out—and which may not? During the interview, of course! You can decide if a temporary candidate has winning traits with the following questions:
- Describe the biggest change you’ve had to handle in your career. What was it and what did you do to cope?
- What do you do when asked to complete tasks you’ve never done before?
- How do you ensure you’ll get the job done right?
- Why do you want to work here?
- Why are you the right person for this job?
- Why have you chosen this industry?
Stick to it and you’ll find the temps you need
With a solid hiring strategy, you’ll be one step closer to finding the contingent workers your company needs. It can also help to work with a staffing partner. Your recruiter will talk with you to understand what you’re looking for in a temp—and through the firm’s industry connections, it will be faster and easier to find the workers you need.
Looking for contingent workers?
McGrath Systems can help. We place light industrial, IT, engineering, HR and administrative workers, with a focus on temporary and temp-to-hire candidates. To learn more, contact McGrath Systems today!