Today’s market is very competitive. To stand out, most companies put a laser focus on their company culture. And once you build yours, you’ll want to find employees who can thrive within it. The time you take to find the right employees will add to your company’s success, your employees’ comfort level with your organization, and the overall vibe within your walls.
How to hire for cultural fit
Whether temporary or permanent, you need employees who mesh. So what can you do to bring the right people on board? Simply consider the following five hiring tips:
- Determine the values that drive desired behaviors. To find people who match your culture, you need to understand it. So, first determine what values your culture upholds. Then, think about what behaviors exemplify those values: These behaviors are what to look for in your new hires.
- Include information about your culture in your job descriptions. This can help candidates determine on their own, before they even apply, whether your company will be a good fit.
- Ask the right interview questions. Though it’s not a perfect system, you can only hope candidates are honest with their interview answers. And by asking questions that have no right or wrong answer, and paying close attention to a candidate’s delivery, you can begin to gauge that person’s work behaviors. You can ask any of the following:
- Describe your ideal work environment.
- Tell me about a time when you were asked to be flexible at your past job. What happened and how did you handle it?
- Tell me about a stressful time at work. What happened, and how did you get through it?
- Let a candidate get his or her feet wet. As part of an interview, walk the candidate around the office and introduce him or her to potential new co-workers. Pay attention to how the candidate reacts to the work environment. Does he or she seem apprehensive or mostly comfortable?
- Work with a recruiter. Staffing firms are experts at placing candidates in positions where they can succeed. Your recruiter will work with you to understand your culture and the type of employees you’re looking for.
In need of supplemental staff?
If you’re looking to augment your workforce, check out McGrath Systems. We specialize in the placement of candidates with administrative, engineering, light industrial, marketing and human resources positions, with a special focus on licensed insurance agents. To find the employees you’re looking for, contact McGrath Systems today!