Career growth, valuable experience and possible job options — these are all benefits of a temporary position. In fact, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that temporary jobs make up about 20 percent of all new jobs. So if you’re considering temporary employment for your next position, you’re not alone. Many of your colleagues may also be doing the same thing. Here’s why it can be a great move in your career.
Five key advantages of a temporary job
A temp position can help you in the following important ways:
- Pick yourself up out of the job doldrums. If you’ve had a hard time finding your next job, it can be rough on your self-esteem. A temporary placement can help get you back into working mode. It will help you keep your skills fresh.
- Prevent holes in your resume. Employers are wary of lapses in your employment history. Even if you can’t find a temp position in your field, your initiative to keep working will go a long way towards establishing your work ethic. And this will make it easier to get hired once a full-time position opens up.
- Gain valuable on-the-job experience. Is there a skill you’d like to develop further? There’s no better way to learn many important career skills than on the job. And as your skills increase, your resume will get that much stronger, preparing you for your next full-time job.
- Figure out what’s next. Maybe you’re thinking of changing careers, but you’d like to “look before you leap.” You can do this with a temporary position. You’ll be able to gain experience in a field you’d like to learn more about.
- Find full-time placement. Sometimes, employers hire temp employees because they’re actually shopping around for a full-time candidate. If you do well during your temporary assignment, it could potentially grow into a full-time offer. Or, if another position opens up within the company, your employer will have experience working with you through your temp placement, and may recommend you for the job. You really never know what the future can hold.
So what are you waiting for?
If you’re ready to seek out a temporary placement, McGrath Systems can help. We excel at placing candidates in the fields of engineering, IT, Web development, marketing, clerical and more, with a special focus on licensed insurance agents. And we can help you, too. To learn more, contact one of our experienced recruiters today.