If you’re looking for a job, a recruiter is a valuable partner. As an expert in the job search process, your recruiter can make it much easier and faster to find a job than looking on your own.
How to work with your recruiter—five best practices
To move the process along smoothly, you can take steps to get the most from your recruiter relationship—especially if you’re working temporary assignments on the path to something more permanent.
- Know what you want. Don’t be wishy washy – be ready to commit to the candidate/recruiter relationship, and serious about looking for a new job. Be specific about the type of job you want and in what geographical area. The more information you can give the recruiter, the more they can help you.
- Always return messages. When working with a recruiter, stay committed. If you’re already on a temp assignment and get a phone call, always return the call promptly. It could be about a follow-up opportunity you’ll love. Even if it’s a job you don’t want, respect the recruiter’s time and let them know you’re not interested so they can connect with the right candidate.
- Keep in touch. Recruiters rely on your feedback. While you’re working a temp job, reach out every two weeks or so to let your recruiter know how things are going—what you like, what you don’t and what you might want to do next time. This feedback is valuable to continue placing you with the right assignments.
- Ask questions. When your recruiter contacts you with an opportunity, ask about it! What’s the size of the employer; what is the culture like; what skills do you need to do a great job; and how many other candidates are in the running? This will help you make the best decision and may even get you one step closer to a permanent position.
- Don’t give up. Your recruiter wants you to be happy with your placements, but you need to work together. If it’s taking awhile to find an opportunity, ask for a referral to a recruiter that’s more in your job niche.
In need of a recruiter?
Maybe you’re in the market for a new job but can’t seem to find the right recruiter. Just contact McGrath Systems! We work with candidates to find actuarial, light industrial, office, engineering, HR and IT positions. To learn more, reach out today to be connected with a recruiter!